Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

We made it through the first week!

We all had a great first week of school. Next week we will begin our regular routine. We have started adding things in our science and social studies interactive notebook.

This is the read aloud we started this week. Middle School The Worst Years of My Life was written by James Patterson. It is written in the same style as the Wimpy Kid books the kids have been reading. It is a humorous story about a boy and his goal to break every rule at school.

Ask your child about his/her writer's notebook. We also read from Ralph Fletcher's Writer's Notebook. We started lists like: things that inspire and fascinate me, fears, and things I wonder about. As we read, we will add more things in our notebooks.
I have encouraged the kids to decorate their writer's notebook. This is a place for them to keep lists and ideas to help them with the writing process. It is important to have something to write about and it is much easier to write about something you know about. This will be a great resource for the kids once they begin writing during writer's workshop. I will also be asking students to share their original pieces on our class blog.

Students: What was your favorite part of the first week? If you post a comment you will get a ticket for the good job jar.

Have a great weekend! See you all Monday.

8 comments:

  1. My favorite part of the first week of school was seeing my friends and meeting Ms. White.

    Samuel Drummond

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part is getting back to school.

    Megan Saalwaechter

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite thing would be the writters
    notebook. I enjoyed writting down things
    about me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tatiasha J. WebsterAugust 21, 2011 at 8:59 PM

    My favorite part about the first week of school was getting my locker and seeing my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. starting our writing folder and lockers!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting to get our lockers and getting to be in your class

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to see more of you posting! Don't forget to check back each week for a recap and another question. My favorite part of the first week was getting to know each of you. I'm also glad to be back on a routine.

    Mrs. White

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite thing about the first week of school was recess

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Students, make sure to answer the question of the week to earn your ticket for the good job jar. If you have trouble posting your comment just e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.